Skip to contentSkip to footer
Kasteel Duivenvoorde
Theepaviljoen De Horsten


Hotel de Gouden Leeuw has been located in Voorschoten since 1862, the hotel where it all started for Van der Valk. Voorschoten is a small village with lots of greenery. The cities of The Hague and Leiden are close by and easily accessible by bicycle, public transport or by car.

Voorschoten is a beautiful, green village between The Hague, Leiden and Wassenaar. The village originated on an old beach wall and had an elongated shape. Soil discoveries show that already 2000 years before Christ, near the present Voorschoten district Boschgeest, there was a settlement of fishermen / fishermen. The ribbon-shaped north-south structure of the village dates back to the Middle Ages. The Voorschoten area stretched from the current municipal boundary between Voorburg and Leidschendam to the Rhine. On the east side it was bordered by the Vliet and on the west side by the peat strip between inner and outer dunes.

Until well into the 20th century, Voorschoten is known for its silver industry. The old Van Kempen and Begeer Silver Factory only shows the 1858 style in its façade. Nowadays, a modern interior lurks behind the centuries-old façade.

A nice fact is that the famous novel 'The Dark Room of Damocles, by Willem Frederik Hermans is set in Voorschoten. The book gives a picture of Voorschoten at the time of the Second World War.

The center of Voorschoten has a small range of shops and terraces. The Voorstraat is the oldest part of the village where the market has been held on Fridays for hundreds of years.

Below we highlight some special shops and restaurants that are worth visiting.

Boekhandel De Kler is a store that started selling books from 1876 onwards. In addition, a large assortment of office supplies is offered as well as (cooking) gadgets. De Kler can be found at Schoolstraat 68.

Chocolaterie Zoete Lekkernij is a hotspot for the sweet lover. A wide range is offered, the quality and conviviality make it a party to visit. The range is changed regularly. Because most products are made in the studio in the street, a workshop is possible. The address is Voorstraat 28.

Drogisterij De Pauw specializes in homeopathy, herbs, food supplements, dietetic foods and natural cosmetics. Information is provided on the basis of thorough knowledge of the employees. For more than sixty years, the drugstore is located on the corner of Schoolstraat and Pauwenstraat.

Inspired by passion, antique shop De Olde Lindeboom Antiek was opened. Thursday, Friday and Saturday between 12:00 and 17:00 you can go here for beautiful and special objects.

At the Voorstraat 12 is the monumental Ambachts and Baljuwhuis from 1635 in which restaurant Floris V is located. Where formerly local judges pronounced their statements, you can now go for a delicious, French-oriented three-course dinner. This restaurent is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Voorschoten has approximately 108 municipal, 103 national monuments and a number of war monuments. Until well into the twentieth century the village had a familiar sound because of its silver industry with the silver factory of Van Kempen and Begeer. The silver factory remained in use until 1984 and is nowadays an imposing building to see with its wide and authentic façade.

Kasteel Duivenvoorde, which has been privately owned since 1226, is located on the south side of Voorschoten. The castle is accessible as a museum and offers many walking opportunities with the parks around.

A little to the north of the village center is the St. Lawrence Church that was built between 1865 and 1869. The church with a 45 meter high tower has been a national monument since 1976.

However, the village church has already restored an organ that was already in use in 1720. In the village church, cultural events are organized in addition to church services.

The Baljuwhuis is the 17th century residence of the bailiff (mayor) forms a unity with the Craft House, which has a stepped gable from 1635. Both buildings are used as a restaurant, museum and wedding room.

Most municipal monuments are located around the Voorstraat Voorschoten, as well as the Historical Museum of Voorschoten.